Highly recommend the Gilded Age tour. Learned so much about a neighborhood I thought I knew so well. A great way to rediscover a city you love.
New York in The Gilded Age: Heyday of High Society Tour
Journey back in time to the American Industrial Revolution and experience extraordinary history of the Gilded Age in New York City. Explore the lives of America’s most notable business magnates John Jacob Astor, Cornelius Vanderbilt, John D Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, J.P. Morgan and more. Learn all about their dramatic ascension to wealth and dominance, the power struggles they navigated, the empires they they built and see some of the remnants of their legacies. Discover women who welded their power and influence for social causes. Gain insight into some intimate details of their personal lives, families, social circles as you explore through the landmarks of the Gilded Age showcasing the lavish lifestyles of high society.
Visit millionaire’s row along NYC’s Fifth Avenue to marvel at the incredible art and architecture of opulent mansions, prestigious private clubs, and art museums brimming with art and treasures of America’s self-made elite. Points of interest will include: The Metropolitan Club, the Metropolitan Museum of Art the Andrew Carnegie, Henry Frick, Payne Whitney mansions and more.
Stroll New York City's Millionaire's Row along Fifth Avenue to admire the stunning mansions, reflecting the wealth and style of the Gilded Age's elite in America
Hear the incredible stories behind the people who helped shape the American economy, including Astor, Vanderbilt, Rockefeller and Carnegie
Explore their fascinating personal lives contrasting their public successes with private dramas and social scandals
Discover the fate and legacy of some extraordinary treasures in architecture and art of the Gilded Age and how it contributed to the cultural wealth of NYC
Learn the real history behind the popular HBO's show The Gilded Age
Grand Army Plaza
By the north side of the fountain in front of the Plaza Hotel
We want you to have a great experience and will do our best to accommodate you. Even with the best intentions we understand that sometimes things happen. We ask kindly that you please take a moment to review our policies:
- Safety – We follow all of the most current federal, state and local guidelines and follow best practices to ensure the safety of all. Our tours take place outdoors unless otherwise noted. Masks and social distancing are recommended and may be required to enter indoor facilities when applicable. We make every effort to avoid high traffic areas to make for a more comfortable experience.
- Weather – all tours are conducted on a year round basis, rain or shine. If inclement weather is expected or there is a severe weather advisory warning in effect around the time of the tour, we will contact you to discuss all options including or rescheduling the tour to another day or provide a refund.
- Schedule – tours start promptly at the designated meeting location for your chosen tour. We recommend you plan to arrive a few minutes early. If you anticipate a delay in arrival please call us at (646) 320-1277.
- Exchanges and Refunds – if for any reason you cannot make your scheduled tour we will be happy to reschedule your tour for another day. If you must cancel your tour we will provide a full refund of your tour at your request with a minimum of 24 hours notice.
- Reservations – you can reserve a tour by phone, e-mail, or securely online. Advance reservations are recommended for all tours. Scheduled tours start promptly at the designated meeting location for your chosen tour. We recommend you plan to arrive a few minutes early.
- Dress – for the most enjoyable experience we suggest dressing appropriately for the weather and wearing comfortable walking shoes.
- Photos – bring a fully charged phone or camera! Your guide is happy to take photos for you at your request.
- Accessibility – our tours take place on level terrain and are stroller and wheelchair friendly. Please notify your guide if any participants might require special accommodation or accessibility during the tour.
- Transportation – we know that the best way to experience New York City is on foot. Our tours are walking tours that go at a comfortable leisurely pace. We can provide private transportation or assist with public transportation for an additional fee upon request.
See What Previous Guests Had to Say
I gave my husband a private Gilded Age tour as a Christmas gift and we went on our anniversary in mid-January. Quite honestly the tour was so interesting, that the weather didn’t distract us. We’ve both lived and worked in New York City so are very familiar with the city, but we learned so much!
What an amazing experience! We had a wonderful private tour today about the Gilded Age! …We had so much fun and leaned a lot at the same time. Highly recommend a tour with this company. Made our trip to NYC really special.